Wednesday, May 29, 2013

The Three B's for Healthy Family Living

* Be a role model for your child.  Living a healthier lifestyle really isn't about being perfect all the time. Just do you best and let your kids see that you are doing your best.  And guess what? It's even okay if they see you fail occasionally, as long as you get back on track! That's a real role model!

* Be positive, be positive, be positive. Kids don't like being told what they CAN'T do (shocker!). I don't either! Instead, focus on what they CAN DO and what they are doing well. This doesn't mean you can define areas that need improvement, but be liberal with you praise and keep the main emphasis on their success.

* Be realistic. Remember, the goal is not perfection! You really just want to start making SMARTER choices for you family and teach them to do the same for themselves.  

Listen, I know it is hard to motivate children into being more active or eating all their veggies. Heck, yesterday I asked my daughter to eat steamed broccoli and she gagged the whole time (by the way--she's 11!). But maybe.. just maybe.. if I keep moving forward in my personal goals, stay positive with what our family does well, and adjust to realistic goals, we might just get there! 

That same daughter recently bought and started doing yoga in our garage. Why? Because that's where her mom works out.  And while she isn't interested in my HIIT or weights, she recognizes that I feel better after I go in that garage and do SOMETHING. Am I happy she started yoga? You bet! 

Now, any suggestions for broccoli?  

These tips were found while I was reading Combat Fat For Kids by James Villepigue and Jo Brielyn. Pretty great stuff, huh?!

No comments:

Post a Comment