Wednesday, April 17, 2013

What Do I Really Eat?


Truth? I am pretty normal! TRUE story! And I eat pretty normal foods.  Lots of people wonder if I always use the menu plans provided with any given workout program.  Answer: sometimes.  I stick with what I'm good at, and what I like to eat.  But I also like to try new things, so I usually play it safe but add in 2-3 new things a week.  Sometimes I find new LOVES and sometimes I drink a shakeology smoothie for dinner because I don't really like whatever I just made.  But I still like to try stuff out!  

But, if you aren't quite ready to try too many new things, or don't love the menu plan that your workout came with.  Try this: what I eat during any given week:

Breakfast: 

Homemade oatmeal with raisins and cinnamon and sometimes I add walnuts
Shredded Wheat with bananas and/or blueberries
Scrambled eggs (using 2 egg whites with one whole egg) with whatever veggies I like (i.e. mushroom, onion, spinach, tomato) PLUS 1 slice whole wheat toast with very light butter or coconut oil
Whole-wheat waffles with light syrup and blueberries

LUNCH:

SALAD of any kind.  I usually have spinach or whatever greens on hand.  I top it with black beans, onion, tomatoes, avocados, etc.  OR I buy a black bean veggie burger and throw that on top instead of black beans
PITA stuffed with cucumber, spinach, turkey, tomato, sprouts, and hummus
Sandwich, turkey with light mayo and mustard, sprouts, spinach, and sometimes cheese

SNACKS:
 
Granola bar (I like KIND bars or any other bar that isn’t too high on calories)
Apple and peanut butter
Slice of cheese and grapes
Rice cake with peanut butter and banana
Boiled egg
Shakeology (or use as breakfast or lunch)
Almonds
Light popcorn
Any piece of fruit

DINNER:  I try to follow the rule: ½ plate: Veggies – ¼ plate: protein – ¼ plate: carb

Grilled Salmon (or whatever fish you like) BBQ on the grill is good too, seasoned with whatever you like—we LOVE the rub from Albertsons. 
Whole roasted chicken with veggies (bake chicken with veggies, I love sweet potatoes, onion, beets)
BBQ chicken on the grill
Mahi Mahi, grilled with Mango salsa (I buy the mango salsa already made)
Whole wheat spaghetti with no meat sauce (or turkey burger) and veggies

Usually, I make one of the above and then steam different veggies to fill ½ my plate and then include a carb, like a potato or corn or piece of bread or wild/brown rice, etc.   I also like to have a bit of fruit salad for dessert.

No comments:

Post a Comment