Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Family Health TIP

You know, the deal with fitness and changing your lifestyle from okayish to healthy is that you really do have to get the entire family involved!  And some don't go willingly.  

The neighbor girl from next door came over last night for a small bowl of ice cream (yes, we still have ice cream at our house -GASP-) and she exclaimed, ... my mom tried to give me ice cream the other day, but it was ORGANIC! YUCK! I told her that I NEVER eat organic. It's gross.  I smiled as I scooped a bowl of ice cream, deciding only to tell her only that the flavor was chocolate.  Later, I wondered why an intelligent middle school child would push away organic food.  Does she even know what organic means??  

This generation, including the three running around my house, are convinced that if it's HEALTHY than is must be DISGUSTING.  HAHA.. maybe I've thought that about some things too.  For example, I used to hate natural peanut butter, don't judge, I just did.  Now, I live for it... kind of sad to admit... but there it is.  My 11-year old daughter just knows that almond milk is gross and that she needs NEEDS 8 glasses of cows milk every day.  I mean, her bones are growing, right?! Why can't I understand that?


I've learned that trying new things is exciting and scary AND ends sometimes in success or disaster.  That's how trying new foods can be!  I have tried a few things I end up hating but others I love.  

So, what can I do?! How do I help my kids, my husband, and even me have a truly healthy lifestyle?  It has to start in the kitchen. And it must start with ME! To help, I found a few ideas I thought I would share:

TIP #1  Make planning meals a family effort and plan your meals in advance.  So often my children want something else for dinner.  Fine, I say, WHAT? And put it their hands.  However, they do have to follow the basic guidelines.  But, if they get to choose what grain or veggie or meat or even a crazy soup loaded with only their favorite veggies, then great! At least it's something!

(This is my oldest and I ready to take on our nutrition WITH A PUNCH) 

TIP #2  Make healthy snack alternatives readily available to your kids.  My kids stare into the pantry, wishing for a cooler mom that filled the shelves with potato chips, fruit snacks, candy bars, etc.  Unfortunately for them, they open it to nuts or applesauce ... well... look I just don't keep a lot of snacks.  There is always fruit in a bowl and yogurt in the fridge.  However, I'm thinking-- if I put together cheese and crackers, or peanut butter apple slices, or carrots and dip AHEAD of time, maybe when they opened the fridge or cupboard they would be okay grabbing that! Stay tuned!

TIP #3  Make a decision as a family to be healthy.  There are tricks to helping children eat their veggies, but it's a great idea to ask them to be part of the process, to ask them to take that challenge with you.  They won't always like that decision, heck, neither do I! But at least it's progress!  It will get easier... right??!

Alright, happy meal planning!  Wish me luck too!

No comments:

Post a Comment